Low-Cost High-Resolution Printer for Lot, Date, or Product Codes
Delivered as the lowest total cost of ownership of any competitive ink jet printing system available, the EV I complete printer system includes a handheld controller, printhead module with built in product sensor and a flash card reader, mounting bracketry, and power supply.
As a basic system that prints only what is entered into the hand held controller, the EV I is a fully expandable system. The addition of optional software packages transforms this standard printer to one that rivals much higher priced hi-res large character printers meant for secondary carton coding, and is also a viable alternative to small character continuous ink jet printers and laser coders.
The Evolution EV I is the ideal choice for those applications where only a lot number, product code, or other non-variable text is required.
Inkjet Technology by Hewlett Packard
Designed by Digital Design, the Evolution EV I is powered with ink jet technology by Hewlett Packard. This combination gives you the benefits of an affordable, compact, and efficient design coupled with the reliability of printhead technology by Hewlett Packard.
Optimum Print Resolution
Evolution EV I delivers bold, highly legible and fully formed characters in a print resolution of 300 dpi at production line speed of up to 200 feet per minute.
Variable Character Heights
Print a one line message in 1/2" characters or two lines of text with the 7/32" high characters. Selecting the character size is accomplished through the font key on the hand held controller.
Built into the printhead is a 42 cc ink reservoir. Once the ink in the cartridge is depleted, it can be taken out, disposed of and a new ink cartridge inserted in just minutes.
A Complete System
The Evolution I LX is complete and ready to install right out of the box. The system includes the mounting bracketry, a hand held controller with tactile keypad for message entry, a printhead module with internal product sensor and power supply.
Breakaway Printhead Protection
A typical powered conveyor or case taper corrugated cartons can sometimes come through skewed or off center. The horizontal adjusting rod that holds the printhead module has been designed with a breakaway feature that moves the printhead out of harms way should the carton come in contact with it. A detent in the assembly allows you to securely snap the printhead back into position after the misaligned carton has past.
Adding another printhead is as simple as sliding it on. Each printhead module is manufactured with a dovetail slot on one side and a dovetail slide on the other. You can attach up to three additional printheads on a single bracket by inserting the slide on one into the slot on the other. A small RS 485 data cable is then used to connect the modules. This allows the hand held controller to network all of the printheads on the production line.
Evolution EV I is supplied with a built in font style. Optional alternative fonts are available and can be downloaded into the printhead modules through flash card media. Logos are another option, and up to 3 can be downloaded into the message via the data flash card.
The hand held controller has the capability of controlling up to 32 individual printhead modules through the use of a RS 485 data cable. A small data cable is used to connect the modules on the same production line while a longer cable connects them to the next production line in the manufacturing area. The printhead modules have a discreet address which is used to identify them for message entry functions. Complete PC control of the Evolution EV I network through our Evolution-Net software is available as an option.
Complete Standard System Includes Handheld Controller
- For entering messages, system configuration, and displaying data from the printhead
- Backlit WYSIWYG 4 line x 16 character LCD display
- Alpha/numeric tactile keypad for message entry
- Memory for message's storage
- Alpha/Numeric character set plus special characters
- Standard Character Style: Arial
- Character Heights: 1/2" (12.7mm) and 7/32" (5.5mm)
- One Line Message: 24 ASCII characters of 1/2" height
- Two Line Message: 48 ASCII characters of 7/32" height (24 per line)
- Print Resolution: 300dpi at 200 feet (61m) per minute
- Internal product sensor for side coding applications
- Two Serial RS485 ports for communication with the controller and any other external device
- Flash card reader for optional software, optional fonts, and logos download
- Bracketry capable of mounting up to 4 printheads
- Dovetail slot/slide for add-on printheads
- Distance between the printhead and substrate up to 1/4" (6.4 mm)
- Storage and print logos and barcodes in bitmap(.bmp) file format
- Standard software includes programmable: line speed, print delay, inter-character spacing, print direction, message orientation, inverted printing, product detection, and external encoding
- Multiple language promts (English, Spanish, French, and German)
- Embedded EVP (Evolution Communication Protocol) for OEM and Systems Integration
- Includes printhead module, 7 inch communication cable, and power supply.
- Used when additional lines of text or product information needs to be printed on the carton or product.
- The printhead module simply slides on the the existing printhead using the dovetail slide and slot on the sides.
- A set screw locks the printhead modules into position.
- Up to four printheads modules can be mounted onto a single mounting bracket.
- The 7 inch comunication cable is inserted into the appropriate port on the printhead to allow communication with the controller.
Add-On Printhead with Bracket
- Includes printhead module, power supply, and mounting bracket assembly.
- Used when product information needs to be printed on the opposite side of the carton.
- Also used on additional production lines within the manufacturing facility.
- A communication cable of the appropriate length must be ordered separately if connecting the additional printhead modules onto a network of Evolution printers.
- Add-on high-resolution printhead modules
- Spring loaded carton follower
- Top coding bracketry
- Floor stand
- External product sensor
- External encoder
Software Options and Special Packages Software Options
Special Software Package No. 1
- Alternative fonts: Downloadable via custom programmed flash card media.
- Logos: Ability to load up to 3 logos into the message downloadable via flash card media.
- Evolution-Net software for PC control of network.
Special Software Package No. 1.5
- Message Storage: Store up to 50 messages in the hand held controller.
- Automatic Message Repeat: Allows the message to be continuously repeated at intervals of up to 20".
- Password Protection: Gives a supervisor the ability to password protect the printer to prevent unauthorized tampering with the message or operating parameters.
Special Software Package No. 2
- Extended Message Length: Expands the message length to one line of 48 characters of 1/2" (12.7mm) characters and up to 96 characters (48 per line) in the 7/32" (5.5mm) character height.
- Expanded Memory: Will store up to 100 messages and operating parameters in the controller.
Special Software Package No. 3
- Sequentially Numbering: Sequential number your products with up to 9 digits.
- Variable Date Formats: Date code your products in either a numerical (05/10/12), alphabetical (May 10, 2012) or Julian Date format. Delimiters of (: / .) are selectable.
- Variable Time Formats: Time coding in military style (15:30:29) can be entered into the message for precise production tracking. Delimiters of (: / .) are selectable.
- Special Software Packages 1 and 1.5.
- Shift Coding: Breaks the production day into 6 or less individual shifts with either an alpha or numerical character.
- Date Offset: Allows for automatic rollover of expiration dates up to 999 days from the current date.
- Product Counter: Counts the number of printer products within a programmed time period.
- Special Software Packages 1, 1.5, and 2.
Specifications Production Speed
- Up to 200 feet (61m) per minute
- Cartridge volume: 42cc
- Colors: Black, Blue, Red, Green, Yellow
- Low ink monitoring
- 110-240 VAC, 50-60Hz 0.5A
- 50F - 104F (10C - 40C)
- Up to 80% RH non-condensing
- Controller: 4.125" wide x 8.750" long x 1.500" deep
- Printhead module: 2" wide x 4" deep x 3" high